UPDATED: 07/04/2020

How can I take care of myself if I become infected?

  • Seek prompt medical attention if your illness or the illness of any household members is worsening. If it’s not an emergency, contact NHS 111 online.
  • If you have no internet access, you should call NHS 111. If it is an emergency and you need to call an ambulance, dial 999 and inform the call handler or operator that you or your relative have coronavirus symptoms.
  • Drink water to keep yourself hydrated; you should drink enough during the day so your urine is a pale clear colour.
  • You can use over-the-counter medications, such as paracetamol, to help with ome of your symptoms. Use these according to the instructions on the packet or label and do not exceed the recommended dose.

What is the latest advice on what is permitted?

  • The advice is clear that everyone should stay at home, apart from in exceptional circumstances. They may leave their house to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
  • We are doing everything we can to support vulnerable people who are without a network of friends and families

Question: What is being done to ensure they receive sufficient food / essential supplies?

  • A new Local Support System will make sure those individuals that have been identified by the NHS to stay at home and are without a support network of friends and family, will receive basic groceries and medicine
  • Members of the armed forces are already supporting Local Resilience Forums to develop and implement their plans in support of this effort
  • National food distributors are working with the government to get the product, the food and supplies to homes
  • We also run a local volunteers scheme, Bishop Auckland Coronavirus Angels, more information on the scheme can be found here

What is the latest travel advice?

  • You can find the latest travel advice here: www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus
  • The Government is now strongly recommending that if you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, whether working or on holiday abroad, you should consider returning now, where there are still commercial routes available
  • However, you should keep in mind that flights may be cancelled at short notice or other travel restrictions may be put in place by foreign governments
  • Ministers are aware of the issue of people needing accommodation and people running out of funds, and on the issue of people running out of their prescription meds


Attachment Size
FAQs Answers.pdf 88.5 KB